Sunday, July 17, 2011

First Impressions

Day 1!
So here we go.. I arrived to New Delhi this morning and had a layover for a few hours.  Within the first few minutes, it seemed everyone was staring at me as I was the only "white" person around.  The city, what from I could see in the airport was how I imagined it would be.  Big, crowed and hot.  However, this was not my final stop.  I was on route for Kolkata or "Calcutta."

I was awarded a scholarship to do an internship in India and my final choice was a company named City Tech Software in Kolkata, India.  The company deals with Business to Business (B2B) marketing with websites.  I arrived to Kolkata around 8:30 a.m., a little jet lagged and tired, but my aspirations were high.  I was met by two gentlemen from AIESEC that greeted me and paid for a taxi.  We were off.

I will be staying with a family of one of the AIESECers friend for a few days while my other house gets prepared.  His name is Jimmy.  I was greeted by the family and right away they offered me a typical India dish known as Thepla. It is similar to a Mexican tortilla and I dipped in potatoes and a yogurt type food.  I realized quickly the family that did not eat meat as they are Hindu.  (predominately the main religon of India)  After breakfast I was given a tour of the area around their "flat" or house.  I went to subway for lunch.  Thank God for chicken! haha!

My first impressions of the city, to be completly honest, are shocking.  I saw many people sleeping on the street in the midday.  I saw many beggers and felt sorry for them.  The drivers are similar to Mexico city: crazy.  Because India was british ruled, they drive on the opposite side of the street and the steering wheels are on the right.  There are no street lines and I swear every biker almost gets hit by random cars and buses!  The food so far has been good but I have so much still to try.  Tomorrow is my first day at my job and I will go to the office, as I am told, around 10 a.m.

That was my first day in India!  Kolkata is a city that has a rich history and I'm eager to explore and learn more about it.  A place I am excited to go to is The Sunderbans.  It is a jungle with a wide variety of creatures from alligators to the local bengal tiger.  I'll try to upload pictures soon enough of my adventure.  I will post on a weekly basis.

Cheers,

Dane Ziperski 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dane,
    What a pleasant surprise that someone from UWEC is doing their internship in my hometown!!!! I am from Kolkata and graduated from UWEC in 2001!!! Wow!! I never ever imagined or expected this!! And, it's great!

    Anyway, I do live in Kolkata now and I hope you enjoy your stay here. Do let me know if I can be of any help to you.

    email: amitabht@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete